It happens to the best of us, the dreadful plateau.... Dun, Dun, Dunnnnnn.... I have reached the flat spot that is normally the end to many diets. Here are my personal thoughts on my own plateau and dieting....
Well, I haven't suceeded in my endeavor to lose 5 pounds a week for my first 2 weeks, instead I have lost 5.6 pounds. Yesterday was my 2 week mark and even though 5.6 pounds seems good to most, it is a little disappointing when you had been down to 7.8 pounds lost and somehow, without eating any more than you had been, you gain 2.2 pounds. I know I shouldn't be that disappointed but I have been working really hard and I always seem to only be able to go so far.
What is my problem? Well, I honestly believe that my body doesn't understand what it will feel like to be under 160 pounds. I haven't been able to get below that in years. Everytime I get close I seem to always gain weight, somehow. It feels like my body is constantly conspiring against me and I guess in ways it is. Physically my metabolism has slowed so much that even the slightest bit of nourishment I give my body is stored as fat. Physically my body isn't used to exercise anymore so it is taking my metabolism longer than most to jump start again and begin to regain momentum. Mentally, it's HARD to stay on a diet and control what you put into your body when, for so long, you have been indulging in every little craving you have had.
When I break down my individual problems I am more likely going to stay on the path to weight loss. I'm not going to be able to get overwhelmed when I take it one step at a time and focus on one problem I am encountering. The first problem I am facing is the fact that my plateau is 160- 165 pounds and I CAN still lose weight, it's just going to take a little more effort.
With that being acknowleged I am then going to focus on how I can up my effort in my weight loss. I can add new exercises to my regular routine that I have been doing religiously for the past 2 weeks. Instead of jogging in place for an hour I will jog in place but throw in 30 jumping jacks every 15 minutes. I will do this 2 times a day instead of only one hour and then a half hour at lunch. I have decided to add running up and down my steps in my house during my lunch exercise routine so that I can add a little more pep into my step (no pun intended). I still do my weight lifting while jogging and then my crunches afterwards, but sometimes I decide it's important for my body to stop and do crunches to break things up a little bit. I'm not overdoing my exercises but rather telling my body it needs to start cooperating with me.
My food intake is still staying the same, a decent breakfast followed by a larger lunch and then just a small portion for supper. Also, I have stopped eating past 5pm. If I need something after that I will drink some juice or water, something that will satisfy my hunger (probably not an actual craving) but will get me through until morning. I have found that I don't get hungry like I used to now that I am portioning my food and only eating single servings without seconds. I take vitamins daily to try and compensate for what I may be lacking since now I am eating fewer things than normal (not like a big box of macaroni and cheese had many vitamins to start with).
I am determined to continue this weight loss journey. I, however, know that it is going to take longer than anticipated. I know that I won't be down to my goal weight when I go on vacation but I can keep working towards it and who knows, I may lose some weight while we are away. Always a nice thing to think and look forward to.
This is a little out of nowhere but I just remembered part of an article I read the other day online. I don't remember where it came from so I apologize for not citing it now but it got me thinking about my plateau and maybe it will be able to help someone else. I read that as you begin to exercise on a regular basis your body burns calories. After exercising on a regular basis for a couple months your body's internal temperature will stay raised longer, even in a resting state, and continue to burn a good amount of calories. I was amazed when I read that. Can I really at one point sit on my couch and burn more calories picking up the remote than I did today???? It makes sense when you think about it but just remember that even when your metabolism kicks back into high gear you have to continue to feed it with healthy foods and a healthy exercise routine.
In the long run, all these thoughts keep me going even though I have reached what has always been my plateau. I know that one day I will reach another one and then another one, maybe with every 5 to 10 pounds lost, but I know that I must persevere so I can become the person that my husband, children, family, and MYSELF deserve. I will be that happy, active, bubbly person that is ready to take on the world. I'm already some of that stuff but having a good image of yourself is always a good way to keep up being happy, healthy, and BUBBLY!!!
Hope everyone has a good week. I know I will try and I would LOVE to hear about how you plan to change your life to make yourself happier and healthier.
No comments:
Post a Comment