Okay ladies, this post is all about us.... Guys, I can't relate to you on this topic so you'll have to pardon my apparent discrimination against you from lack of knowledge. Now, we are a society that flaunts our sexuality. However, we never seem to discuss what gives us that sexuality and the hormones that allow us to be sexual creatures....
Am I going to give a sermon on sex? Not exactly. However, I want to discuss how a girl's transformation into womanhood can sometimes lead to weight gain along with other times in a woman's life that can alter our bodies. Hormones play a large role in our body image, whether we want to believe it or not. During puberty girls normally enter what I call the "awkward" phase. You slender body is starting to develop breasts but yet you also start to become fuller everywhere else as well. I remember when I started to feel awkward in my body. I was in middle school. I looked in the mirror one day and realized that my face was puffy and I wasn't as tiny as I was before. Now I was becoming a woman, in the physical sense of the word, and what I saw wasn't exactly appealing.
I realized I couldn't just eat chips anymore. I had to work at staying healthy and looking lean. By the time I entered high school I was feeling much better. I had become healthier and my body was finally starting to even itself out. I had an hour glass figure and was completely happy with my self image. Once I was out of high school I had my first child, a wonderful baby girl, and that's when other hormones started to change my body. Now I couldn't just lounge around and eat healthy. Now I had to stay active and eat healthy to maintain a proper weight.
Of course staying active wasn't on the top of my list. After my wonderful McKayla I had 3 more children; William, Carlie, and Davey. I had just given up on the fact that I would never be slender again. And now to this day I'm still not sure if that will ever happen. My hormones and metabolism seem to have me at a stand still. No matter how hard I try I can never seem to lose the weight. It seems like a conspiracy sometimes.
Now I started exercising and eating healthier than I have ever done before. I had lost 11 pounds and then what happened???? I got my period! Yes, I get it every month. I have for the past 15 years. But now I have cravings for chocolate and sweets which I have never had before. I am realizing that throughout the years my body has changed and that means that my habits must change. I put on 5 pounds since the last time I wrote and it is because I gave into those cravings. It will not be easy next month trying to come up with things to do so I don't eat chocolate or cake all the time.
I am planning on building a garden box on my deck. With that I hope to be able to grow wonderful fresh fruits and vegetables. Hopefully that added activity will help deter my cravings for the unhealthy sweet foods and lead me to eating more healthy naturally sweet foods....
So what was the motto of this story??? Honestly, I don't know. Initially I was hoping to talk about a woman and menstrual cycles and how that can lead us to weight gain. Somehow I got sidetracked, though, and now I'm not sure where I went. It may be just a bunch of rambling but in my head it made perfect sense.
Ultimately, I want women to realize that as you age your body changes and the way your body responds to certain things changes as well. The world is forever changing, that makes us no different. We must find ways to cope and re-evaluate ourselves. Find your triggers and see how you can diffuse the situation before it becomes a massive explosion.
Like I said, a bunch of rambling, but I hope someone got something out of it. Keep working towards your goal, I know I am. Gym for me 6 days a week, one day for rest. Stay motivated and I will continue this journey with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment