Well, I still haven't been able to beat the dreaded plateau. I was hoping that once I was under 160 I would start losing again.... Failure.... Oh well. On Friday Dave and I decided to join the local YMCA again. We took Carlie and David swimming. We had a blast! I can't wait to take McKayla and William tomorrow night!
Yesterday Dave and I went to work out for a little bit. We each did 30 minutes/ 3 miles on the eliptical and that was definitely enough. Today, since child watch isn't open on Sunday's, I will be visiting the Y alone. I will have Pandora on rocking out to Pop Hits of the 90's. It's amazing how songs from my past make me want to get moving again.... Sometimes I think and wonder what I did when I was younger to stay so fit. I moved around, a lot.
Before I had my car I used to walk almost everywhere. I remember saying that once I got my license I would still walk everywhere. Well, that didn't happen. I think, though, that I will once again start doing that on nice days. If I have to go to the store that's right across the creek, why drive? There is a sidewalk from my house to the Dollar Store or Food Lion. I can just walk there. Also, if I really want to move I can walk that mile to the gas station to get that gallon of milk... or why not 2 gallons? If I have 2 gallons I can lift weights on the way back. :)
Imagine everything you can do in a day. You really don't need a gym membership to lose weight, however it is convenient on those really cold, rainy, miserable days. I saw on tv the other day that walking 2,000 steps a day will burn 100 calories. How can you incorporate an extra 2,000 steps a day? That seems like a lot when you look at it in a whole. But what if you do it subconsciously? Do you ever take your glass to the fridge to pour your milk or juice? Why not leave the glass on the furthest part of your counter, walk to the fridge, get the milk/ juice out, walk back to your glass, then walk back to the fridge... ending with the walk back to your glass? There you added 20- 30 steps depending on how large your kitchen is. Yes, it adds time. Yes, we are a society where we try and find ways to cut corners so we can make room for other activities in the day.
Here is a challenge: Try adding 2,000 extra steps a day into your life. So what if that diminishes the amount of time you sit on the couch to only 1 hour and 50 minutes instead of 2 hours. We are an obese society and the first way to change that is in the home. As much as it is good for schools to improve habits in children's lives it is more important for parents to begin at home.
I maintain a household with very little snacks or sweets. I incorporate fun ways for my children to snack. We make ants on a log or silly faces with fruit. They like snacks but I find that at the grocery store they ask me for bananas, tomatoes, grapes, apples.... They don't ask for potato chips or cookies. This is because I started at home with teaching good habits. That's where it needs to start.
So work on the challenge, keep motivated, keep moving. I know that I will not stay down for the count. I get back up and I keep working at it. My goal is not unattainable, it is just taking me a little longer than expected to reach it. I will make it, though, and so will you. Let's continue to do this together!
No comments:
Post a Comment